24 November 2008

My Most Favorite Food Ever

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of year. Why? Because nothing, and I mean nothing, beats Mom's mashed potato casserole.

So delicious! It's like mashed potatoes on wonder-drugs. You'll love it. Trust me. You'll be collapsing with joy over every bite. Well, I do anyway.

Mom's Mashed Potato Casserole

~ 4 lbs baking potatoes (about 12 med. or 4-5 large)
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened (don't you dare use low-fat, come on, it's the holidays!)
1 8 oz carton sour cream
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 to 1/4 c chopped chives (fresh is best, but dried's okay too)
2-3 Tbs cold butter
paprika to garnish.

Peel & rinse potatoes, and cut into eighths. Boil potatoes in a large pan of salted water, ~ 20 minutes. Drain water & mash potatoes. Add cream cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper & garlic. Beat at high speed until light & fluffy. Stir in chives. Spoon into lightly buttered 9 x 13 glass dish or 2.5-3 quart casserole. Lightly garnish with paprika. Generously dot with chunks of butter.

If making ahead, refrigerate here & let sit on counter about 30 minutes before baking.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

2 comments:

Cheese Boy said...

I never commented on this recipe, but your readers may not realize how good this is. Few foods make me feel territorial, but this mashed potato casserole is one of them.

As if mashed potatoes weren't good enough already on their own, add The People's Cheese, spices and sour cream.

So if anyone plans to make this recipe, be aware that it's so good that before every family holiday, our mother has to make two full pans just to prevent us from fighting over it during the course of the weekend. No lie.

ann said...

hahaha - This is entirely true.

And in fact, when I got married and my husband and mother-in-law joined our holiday dinners, they soon began requesting their own pan of casserole, just so that they can get their fair share without having to fight for it with our side of the family, whose motto could well be "don't get between me and my mashed potato casserole if you value your life."

Because, really, love only goes so far when mashed potato casserole is on the line. And if you think I'm insane for saying so, try the recipe and then consider sharing the results with someone. Good luck with that.

Geez, I may have to make some in the near future, because now I'm thinking about how good it is. Christmas in July!